Sunday, December 30, 2018

preservation of the untouchable femme

(originally published March 21, 2011.)

originally seen on (maymay)

"I do want to turn power roles on their heads but, perhaps unexpectedly enough, I don’t believe that the outward performance of female sexual dominance will have much effect in that regard. Perhaps the only reason that I do not merely reiterate the idea of a female supremacist state governed by spike-heeled, latex-clad, Wanda von Dunajew clones is that I’m not primarily dominant, and therefore couldn’t be Queen of such a state. But more than that, I think even such a proposal, while it seems to be the most radically opposite thing possible from anti-sex feminism, is in fact propagating the exact same problematic anti-sex and anti-femininity ideas as those it seeks to oppose. While I greatly admire and at times practice female sexual dominance, in terms of sexual politics I think it is far less useful for female empowerment than it would appear to be, sort of in the way that the SAT answer choice that seems totally obvious and easy is usually wrong.

"This is because intractably submissive men are actually often the biggest misogynists around: their worship of dominant women is the only way they can indulge deviant sexual desires while keeping their virgin/whore complexes intact. The dominant woman and the puritan virgin are in fact quite similar. They are both impenetrable fortresses of untouchable femininity; the woman-as-what-you-can’t-ever-have. The danger of actuality, of real possession, of the sex act and what follows in all its sticky complexities—which we never resolve because it’s no part of the stories of pursuit and courtship on which men and women alike are raised; stories that end with a fade-to-black on the way to the bedroom—is conveniently never reached, and the man can remain in a safe, comfortable state of unfulfilled torment."

~ (via Kinky Sex for Social Justice « Femalearrogance’s Blog (post not found at this point)


^&^

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this, but I didn’t feel I could just 'heart' it and move on...It's a challenging statement, and one that I do not entirely agree with, but I can’t say that in my dominant days I didn’t meet men who enshrined me utterly--until it looked like they could have me. Then they tried either the cage or the rebuff, or both, which never worked.

So there are definite points to ponder here.

No comments:

Post a Comment