Tuesday, January 22, 2019

preservation of the past

(originally published May 7, 2011.)



A very wise friend of mine, relating words from a friend of both of ours who had passed on, told me she had described me once thusly: "She's not poison," she’d said, in response to comments from friends. "She's poisoned."

There is truth to that statement, hard and heavy truth, but still, the words linger, given scope and presence possibly beyond their intent by the identity of the speaker. If I'm not poison, entirely, if I’m simply poisoned, instead...how do I go about draining the poison? How do I balance toxicity with the health I hope for (mental, emotional, physical, supernatural...take your pick here, really)? Can I heal enough to not be toxic to those around me in future?

Or is it instead part of my nature, now? Bitter with the sweet, hurt with the joy...am I a scorpion, not a butterfly? How would I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment