Friday, February 1, 2019

preservation of Cary

(originally published on June 19, 2011.)



Father's Day always dawns bittersweet. My father died in 1984, of complications brought on by acquiring AIDS. He came down with leukemia in 1982, went to a hospital in San Francisco for a blood transfusion--the common treatment at that time--and, since no one was screening blood yet, developed what was then called GRID as a result.

The only thing I truly resent about his last days is that the hospital firmly denied what was going on. I know their legal staff was panicked, but at the time, this was what we were studying in school. He had Karposi's sarcoma when I went to see him, a staggeringly obvious ailment. But the hospital denied the visual evidence. I didn't want to bring a lawsuit; I wanted him to be accurately diagnosed.

Cary Grant, of course, wasn't my father. But they could have been brothers, easily--the same cleft chin, the same rueful grin, the same width of shoulders, the same half-hooded eyes. To this day, I watch Cary Grant films and my heart clenches, just a bit.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment